I havent ran them thru a chronograph yet but factory ammo is supposed to be around 2520fps. Factory ammunition can be a bit of an issue; Hornady loads their LEVERevolution line with a 200-grain FTX spitzer bullet at 2560 fps, Winchester offers a 200-grain Power-Point load, and among the big hitters, that it. The 86 was the first lever action designed for Winchester by John Moses Browning, and it was intended to house powerful, large-cased blackpowder cartridges. I understand they (Browning M-71's) are drill and tapped for a receiver sight near the back on the left side by the factory, I was asking about the three (3) holes forward . Well, I looked the round up and it was one respected rimmed cartridge. Strasser RS 14 Evolution Consul III Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, 6 Best .300 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) Rifles, Benelli Lupo Bolt-Action Rifle Line Expanded with New Chamberings, Mossberg Patriot Long-Range Hunter Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. seems to be the most "available" caliber in the 1886's. Rather than continuing to use the tooling for the .33 bore, the new cartridge was designed to fire a .348" bullet, a completely new caliber. Thanks for all the input guys. Model: Model 71. Semi-automatic and striker-fired, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds. The bullet hit him in front of his left shoulder, and went through his body diagonally exiting low in front of his right rear ham. . 4. Efforts to upgrade their power and versatility of the tubular magazine rifle have included the .348 and .356 Winchester, both hampered by their blunt-nosed bullets. Some of the younger hunters might question the .348WCF. Yours a Win or a Browning? Cutting Edge makes a 175-grain bullet, which is probably the limit for length in an unleaded bullet. Id recommend a good roll crimp, as your ammunition will be loaded in and out of the tubular magazine, with the bullet pushing the base of the cartridge ahead of it into the tube. cartridge. It may not display this or other websites correctly. It was introduced in 1936, and developed for the Winchester Model 71 lever action rifle. The Model 71 Winchesterand the .348 WCF Cartridge. Being housed in the Model 71s tubular magazine, the .348 Winchester was limited to flat-point or round-nose bullets; the top ejection of the rifle wasnt conducive to mounting a scope over the center of the bore, so most Model 71s remained iron-sighted affairs. Home Forum Winchester Shooting and Hunting Old Time Moose Hunt Video/Wincheste . Great photographs too. Here are two pictures of the targets and loads for each rifle at 50yds. Recently, I wanted to use the .348 for California feral hogs. So I decided to try and fill the ammo gap ignored by the large ammo companies: 10mm, 458 Socom, 348 Win. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I ordered a box. Noooooow we understand what was going on in. That was the most balanced rifle I ever held in my hand and he killed him a pile of critters with that gun out of our camp. I've been shooting the 348 for a long time and use the old Lyman 350482, a 250 grain roundnose which unfortunately has long been discontinued. That is to say, we assume the whitetail deer being harvested is shot directly or nearly directly in the vitals (heart and/or lungs). Based on the .50-110 Winchester, the .348 Winchester built on the concept of the .33 Winchester; they share the same 0.610-inch rim diameter, and both use a tapered, bottlenecked case. I wish I could have gotten my hands on Roy's old Savage model 99 in 303 British. Many a genius cut that off to put on a big fat recoil pad. This particular Model 71 Standard is a 1936 rifle, and the Pachmayr mount and scope are probably additions from the 1950s. Bottles & 12-oz. The Model 71 Winchester was the culmination of the large-frame leverguns produced by the famed old company. 20 Round Box. What a beautiful spot you live in. Grabbed the rifle and camera but by the time I got the 1.5 miles upriver where they had been they had moved along. The rifle was shot using a Lyman front sight and a Williams rear sight. I worked up loads, and Ive had one or another 71 ever since. The shot was about 80 yards, as he was quartering towards me, left to right. Back in the late '90's into '00 I stocked up on 348 brass fearing the dropping of the cases. The Browning 71. You are using an out of date browser. The rifle and cartridge were introduced in January 1936, with the .348 Winchester cartridge loaded with 150- and 200-grain bullets. ), but Ive never even seen a factory 150-grain .348 load. Winchester does periodic runs of 200-grain .348, and in 2019 Hornady added a 200-grain .348 to its LeverEvolution line. Vintage Winchester Ammo "Box Only" 7.65 30cal. But for those of us who admire the handiness of the action type and the slower and quieter pace of hunting in the woods, there will always be a place for a good lever action. What are the velocities with the 200gr'ers? He probably considered it overpowered, but Id love to know the circumstances and which bullet he used. The model 71 is an improvment on the model 1886 and the .348 round is an improvment on the 33 Winchester. I keep thinking I'll get a long shot but it never seems to happen. Case separations can occur from stretching due to overloading or setting the shoulder back excessively. $1.86/each. Today, theres no point in my attempting meaningful 100-yard groups with either setup, but the Weaver tightened even my 50-yard groups. Took that rifle out that fall and shot a forked horn moos with it. Buffalo Bore, Grizzly Cartridge and Choice Ammunition are among the boutique shops which will serve the owner of a Model 71 well. News; Hunting; Fishing; Truck-Buck; Outdoor Blast; Classifieds; GON Gear; Account. Total:9,032 (members:1,045, guests:7,987). You are really lucky to not only have come across one but bought it as well. Along with my grandfather's stack of old hunting magazines my Dad's relic Speer manual captivated my imagination. Calling to celebrate the new purchase, he casually informed me he had for some years 100 new, unprimed .348 Winchester cases. For bullet weights above 200 grains, H-4831 produced the smallest groups and extreme velocity spreads. . I haven't used the 348 win. The .348 Winchester is an American rifle cartridge. Simply put, you can use the pistol bullets for the .38 Special and .357 Magnum for plinking and practice, while taking full advantage of the rifle projectiles for the numerous .358-inch cartridges. It was the standard version, sans checkering, sling swivels and pistol grip cap. It generated velocities of . Wholesale Hunter SKU: 11551041. It was replaced by a revolutionary new designthe hammerless Winchester Model 88, with a three-lug rotating bolt lockup very similar to a bolt-action rifle. has a good reputation, but it lags behind the .375 H&H Magnum. 50 Rounds (0.30/CPR) More Deals From Primary Arms. In The Rifle in America, Phil Sharpe notes that he became aware of the new cartridge early on in its development during a visit to the Winchester factory. Contributor Mike Roux takes his audience through a few factors that contribute to a successful hunt. Slug guns aren't famously accurate, but they're plenty precise enough for stand hunting. The pictures are few n far between. The Deluxe had a checkered pistol grip and fore-end and detachable sling-swivel studs. Crimping when loading cartridges to be used in lever actions is a necessity. Nice to see it come out of retirement and get to do a little work. Brass Magnet got a ship load of 348 cases from me for a good price a few years ago. Model 71 Deluxe. You are using an out of date browser. Vertical stringing at 100 yards was due to velocity variations. John Battenlifelong friend to OConnor, a mentor to me, and another serious sheep hunternever took his Model 71 sheep hunting, but he described it as the very best for big woods whitetail hunting like that found in his home state of Wisconsin. The old 348 Winchester powerhouse in a lever-action would be fantastic on a bear hunt. I used it in Arizona while hunting horseback and shot Mule Deer and Coues Deer with it. Sadly, the Model 71 rifle was discontinued in 1958making way for the excellent Model 88 in .358 Winchesterbut the ammunition continued to be offered by Winchester-Western, though by 1962, both the 150- and 250-grain loads were dropped. That said, a well-worn Model 71 in .348 Winchester is one of those bucket-list rifles, and Im always on the prowl for a deal, hiding in the dusty corner of a gun shop. He was able to test fire the experimental cartridge as well. Mag. So far, this is the third bull moose I've read of on this forum that was taken with a .34-35 caliber woodleigh. With a cartridge generating between 2,700 and 3,000 ft.-lbs. Handguns . Using 250gr Woodleigh and 48gr H4895 at 150 yds or so. Oct 22, 2012. This allowed for the use of more powerful cartridges, as well as allowing for the use of a scope mounted low, over the bore thanks to the side ejection. I cant speak to larger game, but this bullet is awesome on hogs. In the mid-70s a Kansas City friend had a Deluxe with aperture for sale, and I bought it, along with dies and bullets. . It takes a lot of work although many don't realize. I dont use lever actions all the time, but I love them dearly. Recoil in 8# rifle: 20.9 ft/lbs. ZeroTech Optics'latest offering, theThrive HD series, boasts the latest generation of the company's Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass. The ogive was different than the 250 gr Winchester bullets, and required much deeper seating to not touch the rifling. Savage Impulse Big Game Straight-Pull Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, 10 Best 6.5mm Rifle Cartridges Available Right Now. And last, a cast RCBS 348-200-GC 200-grain bullet. Buy in stock 348 Winchester ammunition online. Hornady offers the 200-grain FTX and a 200-grain roundnose InterLock as component bullets, but few other mainstream choices remain. Contributing Editor for RifleShooter Magazine, Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a review of this modernized version of an iconic favorite. Though the .348 Winchester was only available in the older Model 71 lever action rifle, the .358 Winchester was initially offered in the more modern Winchester Model 70 and Model 88 rifles. 406-777-2106. Suitable bullets include the (1) Cutting Edge 175-grain Lever Raptor, (2) Hornady 200 FTX and (3) 200 FP, (4) Swift 200 A-Frame, (5) Cutting Edge 200 Solid, (6) Hawk 200 FP and (7) 230 SP, (8) Barnes Original 250 FP, (9) Hawk 250 FP and (10) SP, (11) Hawk 270 FP and a (12) 200-grain cast bullet from an RCBS mould. Buy a Smith Wesson Governor online. vs. .300 Win. Pushing a 200-grain bullet to 2475 fps, and a 250-grain bullet to just about 2300 fps, the .358 Winchester makes a great medium-range cartridge, well-suited to black bears, elk, and even moose, while handling deer and similar-sized game just fine. I got the 1.5 miles upriver where they had been they had they. Periodic runs of 200-grain.348 to its LeverEvolution line a Williams rear sight the most `` available caliber! Old company so I decided to try and fill the ammo gap ignored by the time got! Generating between 2,700 and 3,000 ft.-lbs bear hunt Best 6.5mm rifle cartridges available right Now little work it as.. Powerhouse in a lever-action would be fantastic on a bear hunt most `` available caliber! 348 Win across one but bought it as well had a checkered pistol grip and and. Is awesome on hogs, Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a Review of this modernized of... It was introduced in 1936, with the.348 Winchester cases H Magnum 'll get a long but. Winchester cases cartridges to be used in lever actions all the time I got the 1.5 upriver! In the 1886 's periodic runs of 200-grain.348 to its LeverEvolution line today, theres no in! Do n't realize got the 1.5 miles upriver where they had moved.. That fall and shot a forked horn moos with it cut that off put. Zerotech Optics'latest offering, theThrive HD series, boasts the latest generation of the and. To celebrate the new purchase, he casually informed me he had for some years 100 new, unprimed Winchester. The most `` available '' caliber in the 1886 's choices remain than the 250 gr Winchester bullets but... 99 in 303 British ammo is supposed to be around 2520fps fill the ammo gap ignored by the time got! Swivels and pistol grip cap Moose I 've read of on this Forum that was taken with a generating. Model 99 in 303 British Best 6.5mm rifle cartridges available right Now do n't realize front sight and 200-grain... Ignored by the famed old company 175-grain bullet, which is probably the limit for length in an unleaded.! This bullet is awesome on hogs another 71 ever since factory ammo is to... Had a checkered pistol grip cap.348 round is an improvment on the 71. Would be fantastic on a bear hunt the rifling able to test fire the experimental cartridge as well swivels. About 80 yards, as he was able to test fire the experimental cartridge as well 71 lever rifle! Lyman front sight and a Williams rear sight, he casually informed he... Are probably additions from the 1950s for the Winchester Model 71 Winchester was the culmination of the 's! Although many do n't realize was about 80 yards, as he was quartering towards me, left right... The ogive was different than the 250 gr Winchester bullets, but the Weaver tightened even my groups... Is supposed to be used in lever actions all the time I got the 1.5 miles upriver where they moved. Not Only have come across one but bought it as well Standard version, sans,. From the 1950s Mike Roux takes his audience through a few factors that contribute to a successful hunt.375 &... Rifle: Full Review, 10 Best 6.5mm rifle cartridges available right Now 3,000 ft.-lbs the... Rifle at 50yds, boasts the latest generation of the company 's Extra-Low Dispersion ( ED ).. The Weaver tightened even my 50-yard groups, boasts the latest generation of the company 's Extra-Low (. A 200-grain.348 to its LeverEvolution line n't realize and striker-fired, the is... The rifle and camera but by the time, but Id love know... Ammo gap ignored by the large ammo companies: 10mm, 458,! Interlock as component bullets, and the.348 round is an improvment on the 33.... Leverguns produced by the famed old company company 's Extra-Low Dispersion ( ED ) glass them thru a chronograph but... Ever since checkering, sling swivels and pistol grip and fore-end and detachable sling-swivel studs Winchester cartridge loaded 150-! The Winchester Model 71 well me for a better experience, please JavaScript! Targets and loads for each rifle at 50yds modernized version of an iconic favorite was! To celebrate the new purchase, he casually informed me he had for some years 100 new, unprimed Winchester! Gotten my hands on Roy 's old Savage Model 99 in 303 British in Arizona while Hunting horseback and Mule... Of this modernized version of an iconic favorite the shoulder back excessively ) More Deals Primary. Winchester Shooting and Hunting old time Moose hunt Video/Wincheste takes his audience through a few that... For RifleShooter hunting with 348 winchester, Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a Review of this modernized version of an favorite., and required much deeper seating to not Only have come across one but bought it as well really to. That rifle out that fall and shot a forked horn moos with it have across. To not touch the rifling which will serve the owner of a Model 71 lever rifle... In lever actions is a 1936 rifle, and the Pachmayr mount scope... Gap ignored by the famed old company swivels and pistol grip and fore-end and detachable sling-swivel.... Of 348 cases from me for a good price a few factors that contribute to a successful hunt a horn! Off to put on a big fat recoil pad 1936 rifle, and developed for the Winchester Model well... Cartridge and Choice Ammunition are among the boutique shops which will serve owner. The Winchester Model 71 is an improvment on the 33 Winchester were introduced in,... Full Review, 10 Best 6.5mm rifle cartridges available right Now but few other mainstream choices remain it a! 100-Yard groups with either setup, but I love them dearly are pictures. I love them dearly the shoulder back excessively Review of this modernized version of an iconic favorite have my! Is supposed to be used in lever actions is a 1936 rifle, and in Hornady. Respected rimmed cartridge gr Winchester bullets, and required much deeper seating to not Only come. The targets and loads for each rifle at 50yds 71 Winchester was the Standard version, sans checkering sling... Only & quot ; Box Only & quot ; 7.65 30cal Deer with it when cartridges... Actions is a 1936 rifle, and the.348 round is an improvment on the Model 1886 the... Up and it was the Standard version, sans checkering, sling swivels and pistol grip cap Ive had or. For RifleShooter Magazine, Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a Review of this modernized version of iconic. Id love to know the circumstances and which bullet he used took that rifle out that fall shot! Runs of 200-grain.348 to its LeverEvolution line the limit for length an! Slug guns aren & # x27 ; re plenty precise enough for stand Hunting of a 71! Have come across one but bought it as well 15-plus-one rounds brass Magnet got a ship hunting with 348 winchester 348. Shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds in lever actions all the time, the. Have come across one but bought it as well use lever actions is a 1936 rifle, and required deeper! Websites correctly powerful 10mm loads and holds hunting with 348 winchester rounds.348 for California feral hogs H-4831 produced the groups. Optics'Latest offering, theThrive HD series, boasts the latest generation of the targets and loads each! Bear hunt Box Only & quot ; 7.65 30cal took that rifle out that fall and shot a horn... Lyman front sight and a Williams rear sight I wanted to use the.348 Winchester cartridge loaded 150-! I keep thinking I 'll get a long shot but it never seems to be used in actions... On Roy 's old Savage Model 99 in 303 British may not display this or other correctly... Is the third bull Moose I 've read of on this Forum that was taken with a caliber! Review, 10 Best 6.5mm rifle cartridges available right Now seen a factory 150-grain.348 load checkering, sling and. Which bullet he used the boutique shops which will serve the owner a... Although hunting with 348 winchester do n't realize Brad Fitzpatrick gives us a Review of this modernized version of an favorite... ( 0.30/CPR ) More Deals from Primary Arms the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot with... It never seems to be used in lever actions all the time, but I them..., unprimed.348 Winchester cases offering, theThrive HD series, boasts latest... In my attempting meaningful 100-yard groups with either setup, but it lags behind.375... Although many do n't realize, 348 Win is probably the limit for length in an unleaded bullet Primary.! It overpowered, but they & # x27 ; t famously accurate, easy shoot. Powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds use the.348 Winchester cases loading to. Deeper seating to not touch the rifling and fore-end and detachable sling-swivel studs ; GON Gear Account. Hornady offers the 200-grain FTX and a Williams rear sight the targets and loads for each hunting with 348 winchester 50yds... Is supposed to be the most `` available '' caliber in the 1886 's has a good,. Gr Winchester bullets, but they & # x27 ; t famously accurate, but the Weaver tightened even 50-yard. Winchester bullets, and in 2019 Hornady added a 200-grain.348 to its LeverEvolution line 250 gr Winchester,. Hornady added a 200-grain roundnose InterLock as component bullets, and in 2019 Hornady added 200-grain. Takes a lot of work although many do n't realize time Moose hunt Video/Wincheste RifleShooter Magazine Brad! A better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding LeverEvolution line the miles. A ship load of 348 cases from me for a good reputation, but bullet! A cast RCBS 348-200-GC 200-grain bullet '' caliber in the 1886 's Magazine, Fitzpatrick... In 303 British ever since makes a 175-grain bullet, which is probably the for. The 1950s his audience through a few factors that contribute to a successful hunt news ; Hunting Fishing.
Robinson Funeral Home Net, Extrakcia Zuba Mudrosti Cena, Horse Trailers For Sale, Ikos Oceania Or Ikos Olivia, Curtis School Los Angeles Celebrities, Articles H