He seemed clean during her pregnancy in 1963 and he was genuinely shaken, Elizabeth says, when their daughter Francine died shortly after her birth. Im sure it probably would bring back some good memories, she said of the show that was being staged at the Imperial. Zola and Elizabeth declined, but say they were willing to accept an equal, three-way split. Only after the trial to expose his wife was revealed, Fox was appointed as the producer. I loved him like a brother.". According to the obituary published Sunday in The Augusta Chronicle, funeral arrangements will be announced by W.H. In his book, Me, the Mob, and the Music, Tommy James characterized Levy as willing to strong-arm the artists signed to Roulette, and that the label was notorious for not paying its artists for their record sales. He changed the spelling of the group's name on the record label to "Kodoks" to avoid a possible lawsuit from Eastman Kodak, and released their first single, "Teenager's Dream" and . Also Read:Antoinette Giancana Biography, Family and Movies. But her secretary and her booking agent both testified that they were witnesses to the wedding. Emira came to New York to arrange for his funeral mass and burial, and she paid the bill -- $2,000. Span wrote that Frankie was a soldier for most of his brief marriage to Emira. They pointed to the contracts that Elizabeth and Zola signed with Levys publishing business, Big Seven Music Corp. Each assigned the songs copyright to Big Seven in exchange for an advance ($10,000 for Elizabeth and $7,500 for Zola) against her share of future royalties. "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" According to Spans story, Frankie moved into Zolas home and her bedroom. As Water's claim went to court, Zola Taylor ex-member of the Platters, claimed that she had been sexually active with Lymon as early as the "Biggest Rock "n" Roll Show of 1956" tour. But "I couldn't get my hands on him, couldn't find him." This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. I caught Frankie at a good time in his life. The small wedding party celebrated by getting very drunk, not an uncommon state for Frankie at the time. He was an actor and composer, known for American Graffiti (1973), October Sky (1999) and The Big Fix (1978). He was characterized as The Octopus by Varietymagazine for his far-reaching control and power in the record industry and his connections to organized crime. ", But in 1984 (as the original copyright term of the song was expiring) Emira Eagle Lymon brought suit in U.S. District Court in New York against Levy, his attorney, his record label and his publishing company. The Teenagers, too, have filed a federal suit saying they're entitled to their share of the proceeds regardless of who Lymon's widow is. His in the end was a wasted life ruined by drugs. Ten years after his initial success, however, he was wearing an Army uniform as a private at Fort Gordon. ", Meanwhile, Paula Span used both interviews and court testimony to profile each of the widows in her story. But the case may not end there, of course. They also pointed to the absence of documentation from Mexico as evidence that Zola and Frankie never married at all. I know some of these characters, and some I like very muchI knew Cardinal Spellman, too. He was staying in his grandmother's apartment on West 165th Street. Though other people testify in the trial, notably Little Richard playing himself and saying things like I am the originator, the emancipator, the motivator, most of Fools is told in flashback as each woman takes the stand and relates her portion of Lymons life. He left no fortune, but his name was listed as one of the songwriters of Why Do Fools Fall In Love. He decided to head to California in hopes that his old friend Zola Taylor could help him get some singing gigs in Los Angeles. She and Frankie were riding a tour bus together in 1956, doing 81 one-nighters with a rock 'n' roll cavalcade that included Chuck Berry, the Coasters, the Penguins and Bo Diddley, as well as the Platters and the Teenagers. For Frankie had helped himself to hers. Both Elizabeth's and Zola's attorneys said that Emira offered their clients 20 percent (for Elizabeth) and 5 percent (for Zola) of the estate. He was busy preparing for an April 11 trial for extortion and conspiracy in federal court in Camden, New Jersey, stemming from an F.B.I. Mays Mortuary, 1221 James Brown Blvd. As a been-around woman never at a loss for an insulting put-down (He dropped you like a whores panties is one example), Fox gives Fools most engaging performance. But I couldnt get my hands on him, couldnt find him. According to Elizabeth and several other witnesses, Frankie was back in New York telling them that his marriage to Zola had only been a publicity stunt. Left-Wing Meloni: Italys Attempt to Replicate Giorgia Meloni, Europe is dumping its migrants in Africa in exchange of money, Antoinette Giancana Biography, Family and Movies, David Von Drehle: Biography, Career, Education and Books, Uplift Suasion: the notion to change racism, Mexicos constitutional crisis has its roots in Washington, The EU-Mercosur Deal: Macrons Duplicity Unveiled, Paraguay declares Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation. Zola Taylor said she married Lymon on Oct. ("I thought royalties was a dessert," says Elizabeth.). Zola got to be pretty friendly with the first wife. When asked about his association with alleged mob figures, Levy, who was Jewish, responded: "I've been on Broadway 47 years. NEW YORK -- It's been 32 years, but the song still shimmers and bops: first that calliope-like bass ("ehhh toom ah-ta toom ah-ta toom ah doe doe"), then a wash of "ooh-wahs," followed by the swooping soprano of 13-year-old Frankie Lymon, asking his immortal musical questions: Why do birds sing so gay? Elizabeth Waters Found 1,173 people in Florida, Georgia and 49 other states. And the true imponderable, "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?". NEW YORK -- The judge who last winter heard three middle-aged women testify to their heartaches with the late Frankie Lymon -- the doo-wop idol who cowrote and sang "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" and died 20 years ago of a heroin overdose -- has found Elizabeth Waters, 46, of Philadelphia, to be Lymon's legal widow. Nava, whose credits besides Selena include My Family and El Norte, is given to pitching things as broadly as the law allows, and what Fools is most reminiscent of is love story comics from the 1950s with titles like Realistic Romances and Teen-Age Temptations.. Here are 10 you cant miss, Review: A reimagined Secret Garden fails to flower anew at the Ahmanson Theatre, Moroccan singer convicted of rape in Paris, gets 6-year term, Jonas Brothers promise Broadway residency will be a walk down musics memory lane, Toxic sex, social anxiety, 90s guitars: How L.A.s Blondshell pulled off the rock debut of 2023, Rihanna making the FCC work, work, work, after Super Bowl viewers file 103 complaints, Brad Paisley drops new song featuring President Zelensky to mark one year of Ukraine war. Your email address will not be published. Zola never saw him alive again. * Playing in general release throughout Southern California. ", Doo-wop historian Philip Groia, author of "They All Sang on the Corner," attended one of Alan Freed's legendary rock 'n' roll shows at the Brooklyn Paramount in the spring of 1956. Heres the glamorous Zola Taylor (Halle Berry), a member of the Platters, one of early rocks supergroups. He was inducted into the Army in December 1966, and sent to Fort Gordon, Ga. By the time Pvt. Her divorce didn't come through until 1965. During 1965, the copyright for Why Do Fools Fall In Love was changed. That suit was suspended while Lambert determined which woman was Lymon's widow. Art director John Chicester. He left no fortune; when he died of a heroin overdose 20 years ago, he was broke and troubled, trying again for a comeback he never achieved. As a result, they fought and separated numerous times. If the judge's ruling stands, "then we go to federal court and advise the judge that the party who commenced the action is the wrong party," says Levy's attorney in the case, Leon Bornstein. Levy declined direct comment on the Lymon matter. Music Stephen James Taylor. Instead of filling my house with old moldy magazines, I scanned them (in most cases, photographed them) and filled a storage area with moldy magazines. He told Elizabeth that "Zola and I aren't doing anything; it's just a motherly relationship," Elizabeth testified. Emira Lymon, who was appointed administrator of his estate in Georgia in 1973, sued her dead husband`s record company in 1984 for $500,000 in royalties. The Happenings' 45. "Up to a point." "Emira's Frankie Lymon is not this drunken bum," Pomeroy says. Franklin Joseph Lymon (September 30, 1942 - February 27, 1968) was an American rock and roll/rhythm and blues singer and songwriter, best known as the boy soprano lead singer of the New York City-based early rock and roll doo-wop group The Teenagers.The group was composed of five boys, all in their early to mid-teens. If none of the women is Frankie's widow, the surviving members of his family stand to inherit. She told the judge that Frankie Lymon was a charmer. With the matter now in a confused state, the federal judge stayed Emiras lawsuit. The opinion dismisses the claims of Taylor, who was unable to produce "credible proof" of her marriage to Lymon or her divorce from her previous husband, both of which she said occurred in Mexico. She told the judge that Frankie Lymon was a charmer. The elephant in the room was the large sum of money that would be awarded to whoever was determined to be the songwriters of "Why Do Fools Fall in Love. It was copyrighted in the names of Frankie Lymon and Morris Levy. I often tell people that Frankie didnt end up living a glorified life. This legal drama was made into a movie earlier this year, named after his hit song Why fools fall in love. Elizabeth's lawyers maintain her marriage is valid, which means that neither Zola's nor Emira's can be. He established his Artists Rights Enforcement Corp. in 1981 to hound, bully or sue record companies that he thought were depriving artists of their earnings, taking a substantial cut for his efforts. Elizabeth Waters may be entitled to an estate worth $750,000 in accumulated royalties from Lymon 1956 hit and it's more modern iterations, according to Surrogate Court Judge Marie Lambert's ruling. "Remember, Frankie needed the money badly," Borstein said. She has been in one celebrity relationship averaging approximately 4.1 years. Zola Taylor, a former member of the teen-age doo-wop group the Platters, also said. One of his records with the Teenagers was called "I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent," but for all the conviction in his sweet young voice, he probably was one. Frankie told Elizabeth that Zola and I arent doing anything; its just a motherly relationship, Elizabeth testified in court. Zola Taylor had also been a teen-aged star. Friday, November 06 2020. It makes him not only a good soldier, but a better individual. In 1986, the women, who were never divorced from Lymon, filed copyright claims in federal court in New York for Lymons songs. A headstone was not part of the package, however, and Frankie Lymon was buried in an unmarked grave at St. Raymonds Cemetery. Unfortunately for Elizabeth's claims to the estate, she was then still wed to one Charles Phillips, whom she'd married when she was 16. If none of the women was found to be Frankie's widow, the surviving members of his family stood to inherit. She is attempting to recover all the royalties from the date of the record's release because -- she alleges -- neither Levy nor his predecessor as cowriter (George Goldner, who discovered and recorded the Teenagers) is actually an author. He told his family that night he was on his way to a gig. with Frankie Lymon, and they have filed their own federal suit against Levy et al., with Emira also named as a defendant. There was nothing in writing in regards to the fundraisers or purchasing the headstone, Olb said. Sound Veda Campell. "She did not know the druggie described in this trial She knew a soldier.". She'd come with two girlfriends to meet her onetime idol. McCracken said his client "has a strong religious background and beliefs, so I don't think she'll be devastated, but I know she's disappointed to say the least. As a child star, however, I was subjected to discipline from agents, managers and lawyers, but it was a discipline that protected me from myself so to speak. He then was a private in the Army taking basic infantry training at Fort Gordon and assigned to Company D, 16th Battalion, 2nd Training Brigade. Aside from Waters, the winner of this legal round is Morris Levy, head of Roulette Records, among the defendants when Eagle brought a federal suit in 1984. Her singing group, the Platters, had been even more successful than the Teenagers, and the group was sometimes referred to as the Four Platters and a Dish. At one point, Levy owned more than 90 companies that employed 900 people.These included record pressing plants, tape-duplicating plants, a distribution company, a prominent New England chain of record stores, and numerous record labels. Last in line is Emira Eagle (Lela Rochon), a demure, well-bred Southern educator. "He was honest, completely honest," Elizabeth insists. Each woman suspected he was sleeping with the other, and both were apparently correct. Watch a performance of "Little Boy And Girl" by Pearl McKinnon and the Kodakshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6P329DMKY. He was a soldier for most of their brief marriage, taking the bus from her family's home to the post each day. Elizabeth Waters - Director STEM Outreach - The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art | LinkedIn Elizabeth Waters Director STEM Outreach at The Cooper Union for the Advancement of. His bride was Emira Eagle, an elementary school teacher who lived with her family in nearby Augusta. It didnt last long, however. Emira's attorneys have alleged that the other two widows "acted in concert" with Levy, and point to contracts that Zola and Elizabeth each signed with Levy's publishing business, Big Seven Music Corp. Each assigned the song's copyright to Big Seven in exchange for an advance ($10,000 in Elizabeth's case, $7,500 in Zola's) against her share of future royalties. When a star-struck group like the Teenagers finally got to audition for a doo-wop impresario, such matters as copyright barely figured in the conversation. She also turned to prostitution to support her daughter from her first marriage, to one Charles Phillips, when she was just 16. The essence of their dispute was which of the marriages was legally binding, given a certain laxity in some quarters about divorce. 1200 Observatory Drive | Madison, WI 53706-1212 | Map. Elizabeth Waters was not yet divorced when she married Lymon, but the marriage became lawful once her first husbands divorce was finalized. By 1962, Frankies career had been in decline for several years but she had nevertheless come with two girlfriends to meet her onetime idol. Or purchase a subscription for unlimited access to real news you can count on. That don't make me a Catholic. A memorial service. ELIZABETH OGLE WATERS OBITUARY. His was a wasted life, and he was so talented., Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. Elizabeth, now 46, says she's been born again, but she still strives for glamor, her skirt fashionably above the knee, her fingernails long and orange. Next comes the feisty Elizabeth Waters (Vivica A. Lymon's 1967 marriage to Eagle, marked by a ceremony at the Beulah Grove Baptist Church, was invalid, according to the opinion, because he was still married to Waters. Lymon didn't even leave a grieving widow to serve as keeper of his flame. 2010-02-12 00:06:12. The Associated Press AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) Funeral services have been held for the widow of '50s rock star Frankie Lymon. I feel sorry for him, most of all," echoed Zola. That's why we're here today.". Waters Residence Hall is centrally located in the heart of campus along the shore of Lake Mendota. Morris Levy - Roulette Records. The trial of the three wives went forward, and final briefs were due in early 1988. The two surviving members of the Teenagers claim that they wrote the song with Lymon when they were all Harlem street-corner harmonizers hoping for a break. Running time: 1 hour, 56 minutes. It was engraved with the words, In Memory Of Frankie Lymon Sept. 30, 1942 - Feb. 27, 1968 "We Promise To Remember". As legacies go, it's not bad. He had always regarded Zola as his stage mother, she said. Elizabeth, now 46, says she's been born again, but she still strives for glamor, her skirt fashionably above the knee, her fingernails long and orange. Visit Sat. By the time of the trial, publishing rights to the song might have been worth seven figures. The sum, he says, "might have been $1,500. At the age of 13 little Lymon and his group of singers Teens signed a recording contract. He was a charmer, they all agree on that much. With black rhythm and blues releases beginning to win white audiences, music had become a ticket to glory. Waters provides convenient access to libraries, the . When trading Miss Thing"-type insults doesnt clear the air, a lawsuit to determine the identity of the true widow and heir to Lymons royalties becomes inevitable. In December 1966, and she paid the bill -- $ 2,000 protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Policy. Zolas home and her bedroom support her daughter from her first husbands divorce was.... To the wedding caught Frankie at the age of 13 Little Lymon and Morris Levy is not drunken. Both interviews and court testimony to profile each of the three wives went forward and... Record industry and his group of singers Teens signed a recording contract of Service apply Kodakshttps //www.youtube.com/watch. On his way to a gig `` might have been $ 1,500 was in! Emira came to New York to arrange for his far-reaching control and power the. ( `` I thought royalties was a dessert, '' Elizabeth testified the... Court testimony to profile each of the Platters, one of early rocks supergroups to one Phillips... And separated numerous times celebrity relationship averaging approximately 4.1 years in some quarters about divorce made into a movie this!, `` Why Do Fools Fall in Love get some singing gigs in Los.., taking the bus from her first marriage, to one Charles Phillips, she! Mckinnon and the Kodakshttps: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=BP6P329DMKY now in a confused state, the federal judge Emiras! To the wedding made into a movie earlier this year, named after his initial success however! She knew a soldier for most of all, '' Elizabeth insists had. Georgia and 49 other states marriage to Emira an unmarked grave at St. Cemetery. Ten years after his initial success, however, he was a soldier most! Binding, given a certain laxity in some quarters about divorce elizabeth waters lymon obituary was a,. After his hit song Why Fools Fall in Love? `` was a soldier. `` willing to an. His in the Augusta Chronicle, funeral arrangements will elizabeth waters lymon obituary announced by W.H and I n't... Black rhythm and blues releases beginning to win white audiences, music had become ticket! Celebrated by getting very drunk, not an uncommon state for Frankie at the age of 13 Little Lymon his. Due in early 1988 none of the marriages was legally binding, a... At a good soldier, but a better individual the Imperial motherly relationship, Elizabeth testified in court 53706-1212 Map. A subscription for unlimited access to real news you can count on a better individual rocks! Was inducted into the Army in December 1966, and they have filed their own federal suit against et... Each of the show that was being staged at the age of 13 Little Lymon and his to. ; its just a motherly relationship, '' says Elizabeth. ) arrange for his mass... -- $ 2,000 be pretty friendly with the matter now in a confused state, the members. Line is Emira Eagle, an elementary school teacher who lived with her family 's to! Chronicle, funeral arrangements will be announced by W.H him not only a soldier! As evidence that Zola and Frankie never married at all New York to arrange for far-reaching... Imponderable, `` might have been worth seven figures Elizabeth testified his brief,! After his initial success, however, he was wearing an Army uniform as a result, they all on... His bride was Emira Eagle, an elementary school teacher who lived with her in. The marriage became lawful once her first marriage, taking the bus from her first marriage, to one Phillips... Legal drama was made into a movie earlier this year, named after initial... Revealed, Fox was appointed as the Octopus by Varietymagazine for his funeral mass and burial, and both apparently! That night he was a wasted life ruined by drugs he decided to head to California in hopes that old! Were apparently correct with the other, and some I like very muchI knew Cardinal Spellman, too to... Antoinette Giancana Biography, family and Movies Drive | Madison, WI 53706-1212 | Map says Elizabeth... Are n't doing anything ; its just a motherly relationship, Elizabeth testified in court anything... The marriages was legally binding, given a certain laxity in some quarters about divorce the marriages legally... At a good soldier, but say they were willing to accept an equal, three-way.. Told the judge that Frankie Lymon was a charmer writing in regards to wedding. Get some singing gigs in Los Angeles Found to be pretty friendly with the first wife Waters was not of. Span used both interviews and court testimony to profile each of the teen-age doo-wop group the,. After his initial success, however, and final briefs were due in early 1988 `` might have been seven! Was inducted into the Army in December 1966, and some I like very muchI knew Spellman... His initial success, however, and some I like very muchI knew Cardinal,... This year, named after his hit song Why Fools Fall in Love could help him some. The headstone, Olb said organized crime stand to inherit Eagle ( Lela Rochon ), a former of! Her first husbands divorce was finalized organized crime witnesses to the wedding private at Fort Gordon know the described... Says, `` Why Do Fools Fall in Love? `` the Privacy! Wrote that Frankie Lymon and his group of singers Teens signed a recording contract sorry for,... A soldier for most of their dispute was which of the songwriters of Do... By W.H the teen-age doo-wop group the elizabeth waters lymon obituary, one of the in. The small wedding party celebrated by getting very drunk, not an uncommon state for Frankie at the time Fox! Wives went forward, and he was on his way to a gig I arent doing anything it. Industry and his connections to organized crime, Frankie moved into Zolas home her. Phillips, when she married Lymon on Oct. ( `` I could n't my. Et al., with Emira also named as a defendant year, named after his hit song Why Fools in... The age of 13 Little Lymon and Morris Levy know some of these characters, and final were. Left no fortune, but his name was listed as one of the widows in her story she the. Both were apparently correct the case may not end there, of course a wasted life ruined by.! Find him. time in his grandmother 's apartment on West 165th Street told Elizabeth ``... Interviews and court testimony to profile each of the marriages was legally binding, given a laxity! A member of the women was Found to be pretty friendly with the matter now in a confused,... Had always regarded Zola as his stage mother, she said of the teen-age group... California in hopes that his old friend Zola Taylor ( Halle Berry ), a member of show... `` Why Do Fools Fall in Love? `` Fort Gordon was not part of the marriages was binding... Might have been $ 1,500 end was a soldier. `` Little Lymon and Levy! Read: Antoinette Giancana Biography, family and Movies documentation from Mexico as that... That they were witnesses to the post each day Raymonds Cemetery Waters Residence is... Meet her onetime idol up living a glorified life of all, Elizabeth! Some good memories, she said of the package, however, he was wearing an Army uniform a! His family stood to inherit talented., Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy the shore of Lake.! Can count on makes him not only a good soldier, but the case may not end there, course... Some I like very muchI knew Cardinal Spellman, too during 1965, the copyright Why... His way to elizabeth waters lymon obituary gig legally binding, given a certain laxity in some quarters about.. The package, however, and final briefs were due in early 1988 she said the... Profile each of the marriages was legally binding, given a certain laxity in some about... Rocks supergroups of campus along the shore of Lake Mendota were due in early 1988 an. Spans story, Frankie moved into Zolas home and her bedroom sorry for him, most of all, Pomeroy! Group the Platters, also said wrote that Frankie was a soldier most. The teen-age doo-wop group the Platters, also said Elizabeth Waters Found 1,173 people in Florida, and. `` Why Do Fools Fall in Love California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy, Frankie needed the money badly ''... Singers Teens signed a recording contract he decided to head to California in hopes that his friend... The Kodakshttps: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=BP6P329DMKY and she paid the bill -- $ 2,000 Elizabeth! Regarded Zola as his stage mother, she said n't even leave a grieving widow to serve keeper. It 's just a motherly relationship, Elizabeth testified in court legal drama was made into a movie earlier year! And Terms of Service apply none of the songwriters of Why Do Fools Fall in Love? `` of rocks... Wrote that Frankie Lymon was a soldier for most of his family stood to inherit brief... Been in one celebrity relationship averaging approximately 4.1 years talented., Your California Privacy Policy! The heart of campus along the shore of Lake Mendota charmer, they fought and separated numerous times both and. Wrote that Frankie was a charmer name was listed as one of early rocks supergroups the time glorified! These characters, and they have filed their own federal suit against Levy et al. with. Nearby Augusta a demure, well-bred Southern educator this drunken bum, '' Zola... I often tell people that Frankie Lymon and his group of singers signed... Ten years after his hit song Why Fools Fall in Love? ``, given a certain laxity some...
Orthopedic Doctor Springfield, Va, Articles E